But a study done in Sweden recently further supports the importance of a good breakfast. Apparently, children who eat a small breakfast - or forego it altogether - have a greater risk of metabolic syndrome as adults. Metabolic syndrome can be diagnosed with just three of the following factors:
- A large waistline (greater than 40" for men, and greater than 35" for women)
- High triglycerides (greater than 150 mg/dL)
- Low HDLs (less than 40 mg/dL for men, and less than 50 for women)
- High blood pressure (greater than 140/90 mmHg)
- High fasting blood glucose (greater than 110 mg/dL)
More to the point, metabolic syndrome is a precursor to diabetes, which is currently an epidemic in America today. So, to help prevent metabolic syndrome or diabetes in your children in the future, make sure they eat a healthy breakfast every morning!
Article: Poor breakfast in youth linked to metabolic syndrome in adulthood